Friday, June 20, 2008

New English Contemporary Ballet

I have a small confession - I am becoming what would probably have once been called (and probably still would be in certain circles) something of a balletomane.

Anyway, I'm going to see the New English Contemporary Ballet this week, which will be my fifth dance company this year - that's more than in the rest of my life put together.

Why has it take me so long to start going to see something I have always been interested in and now enjoy so much...?



Update: The NECB were fantastic. Highlights were the opening piece S(c)ent, set to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony and choreographed by Richard Wherlock; a brilliant short piece entitled Turret by Vanessa Fenton and a quite extraordinary piece entitled .com together, which was a whirlwind of angular but fluid ballet that somehow managed to incorporated robotic, almost bodypopping, moves and some extraordinary dancing by Jean-Michel Sinisterra Munoz, whose solos at times resembled a better, faster, ballet-trained Michael Jackson, with dramatic flurries of movement that brought vogueing to mind. Quite exhilarating.

The other highlight for me was a wonderful and very handsome dancer called Alastair Postlethwaite [pictured], who brought an incredibly manly grace to every move. Oddly, it was him on the tour poster that [pictured above] that first attracted me to the event.

If you like dance and get a chance to see this wonderful company - go!

No comments: